- Due to increased stakeholder pressure for better governance and ESG reporting, mining companies are being forced to review their siloed systems to ensure information can flow easily and that decisions or actions can be made efficiently.
- Decipher and K2Fly have come together to combine their complementary technology strengths to create a solution to help tier 1 and 2 mining companies address the key elements of tailings management, governance, monitoring and disclosure. Find out more about the solution.
- See what score you get for your TSF management
- Watch this vodcast, Working towards zero harm: tailings monitoring and governance in 2021
- Find out about the 57 major tailings dam failures (2000 – 2020)
- Are you ready for the next round of Investor Mining and Tailings Safety Initiative reports? Watch this FREE webinar to learn more
See what score you get for your TSF managementFor example, the release of the Global Tailings Standard (GTS) sets a new benchmark for multi-stakeholder collaboration, governance and drive to improve industry performance on tailings storage facilities (TSF), as well as sending a strong signal to the mining industry that ESG performance needs to improve.
Tailings is a crucial part of this governance landscape. Typically, many tailings experts are external to the mining company so they tend to have a limited ability to “reach” into their client’s document management systems in the lead up to a formal review.K2Fly Chief Commercial Officer, Nic Pollock said miners will need to implement structural organisational change, replicating what is being implemented to manage the GTS to ensure proper accountability across the organisation and disclosure.
“We’re seeing capital, not governments, dictate improved performance in ESG for mining companies and other industries. “And there is a real sense of urgency around the change needed, given the impact on social licence and the real threat of projects being held up for extended periods to review.”
The solutionAfter hearing the industry’s challenges, Decipher and K2Fly have come together to combine their complementary technology strengths to create a solution to help tier 1 and 2 mining companies address the key elements of tailings management, governance, monitoring and disclosure. The partnership, and the software solution provided, offers a direct response to a recently published report by KPMG which recognised tailings management as one of the top 10 risks to the global mining industry. Decipher Chief Executive, Anthony Walker said:
“The resources industry needs a solution that is cost effective, comprehensive and accessible – and we can deliver on that.”A large number of K2fly’s Mineral Inventory Governance and Reporting clients have drawn a direct link between Resource Governance and Tailings Governance. With the broader importance of ESG, this is a positive step forward in how these issues need to be framed, considered and responded to. Drawing on this experience, the detailed Governance and Monitoring solution is designed to bring a variety of tailings data such as IoT devices, LiDAR, radar, CCTV, drones, inspections and remote sensing into one central location, as a way of monitoring potential failure modes. Reporting from the solution ensures that key personnel (site and corporate) are regularly informed of the facility’s performance and notified of customer defined exceedances. The solution has also been designed to provide independent users (auditors, ITRB, insurance companies) with a quick and effective knowledge management tool so that you can visually demonstrate good governance, enable better understanding of the facility and as a result, reduce insurance premiums or improve investor sentiment. Our new integrated governance dam and tailings software solution will help mining companies ensure TSFs are designed, constructed, monitored, managed, and overseen in accordance to the GTS. The solution will provide:
- Management and governance around key stakeholders in Tailings Facility lifecycle
- Workflows and audit tracking for transparency in reporting
- Capturing/sourcing and searching documentation
- Controlling the functioning of the Independent Tailings Review Board
- Advanced monitoring tools such as earth observations (NDVI, NDRE, NDWI, MSAVI), InSAR, IoT and LiDAR, Landform & Erosion, Environmental Monitoring & Sampling to monitor performance and potential risks
- Tools to manage obligations and actions
Effectively monitor your tailings storage facility with Decipher
Decipher’s Tailings solution is designed to provide you with key data and insights, enabling you to effectively monitor your TSF and your environmental obligations and compliance. Our solution can be securely accessed by industry, regulators, designers and operators involved in the management of TSFs. Decipher offers a comprehensive and functionally rich solution which combines regulatory (Compliance Management Software), mining waste management, stakeholder engagement, environmental monitoring, and environmental management system (EMS) tools to assist with tailings management:
- View real-time data and receive exceedance alerts
- Monitor land movement with remote sensing and InSAR datasets
- Visualise real-time LiDAR data with insights into dam movement
- Securely store and access all of your tailings data in the one place
- Upload and reference key documentation
- Visualise facilities across multiple sites in a single screen on a geospatial map
- Monitor your facilities with InSAR, LiDAR, DEM and more
- Capture a wide range of monitoring data and indicators su ch as surface and groundwater, decant pond water levels and quality, and embankment conditions
- Capture and track obligations and conditions around your licence to operate to manage your key risks and actions
- Action and task delegation for data collection with reminders
- Maintain and track environmental monitoring compliance limits and exceedances
- Manage and engage with all of your stakeholders with one central repository
- Convert your engagements into actionable outcomes
- Forecast, plan and track your sites activities using IBM’s Weather data
- Create corporate report templates and meet requests for data provision from industry groups such as ICMM, Global Tailings Portal, PRI and UNEP
- Integration capability with third party systems or public portals such as the Global Tailings Portal
Request a demo
Want to find out more about tailings storage monitoring?