- A tailings storage facility leak at the Central Asia Metals, Sasa facility in Northern Macedonia has resulted in the suspension of processing activities and the company deferring its dividend decisions
- Download this FREE guide to find out about the available solutions to help implement the Global Standard on Tailings Management
- Find out about the 57 major tailings dam failures (2000 – 2020)
- Are you ready for the next round of Investor Mining and Tailings Safety Initiative reports? Watch this FREE webinar to learn more
London-listed Central Asia Metals has deferred its dividend decision and is reviewing its zinc and lead production guidance, after a tailings storage facility leak earlier in the week at its Sasa facility, in Northern Macedonia.The company planned to reinstate its dividend, but has now delayed declaring an interim dividend because of Monday’s leak at Sasa’s TSF4, which resulted in the suspension of processing activities.
“Site management are working with the authorities to understand the root cause so we can repair the facility and ensure that we can safely operate again. Based on the initial information available, we consider the likelihood of an extended shutdown of the processing plant to be low.”Nevertheless, CAML’s production guidance for zinc and lead is under review. The company previously guided zinc output of between 23 000 t and 25 000 t, and lead production of 30 000 t to 32 000 t. CAML’s copper production, from the Kounrad mine remained on track to achieve its guidance of 12 500 t to 13 500 t.
Originally published by MiningWeekly.
Effectively monitor your tailings storage facility with DecipherDecipher’s Tailings solution is designed to provide you with key data and insights, enabling you to effectively monitor your TSF and your environmental obligations and compliance. Our solution can be securely accessed by industry, regulators, designers and operators involved in the management of TSFs. Decipher offers a comprehensive and functionally rich solution which combines regulatory (Compliance Management Software), mining waste management, stakeholder engagement, environmental monitoring, and environmental management system (EMS) tools to assist with tailings management:
- View real-time data and receive exceedance alerts
- Monitor land movement with remote sensing and InSAR datasets
- Visualise real-time LiDAR data with insights into dam movement
- Securely store and access all of your tailings data in the one place
- Upload and reference key documentation
- Visualise facilities across multiple sites in a single screen on a geospatial map
- Monitor your facilities with InSAR, LiDAR, DEM and more
- Capture a wide range of monitoring data and indicators su ch as surface and groundwater, decant pond water levels and quality, and embankment conditions
- Capture and track obligations and conditions around your licence to operate to manage your key risks and actions
- Action and task delegation for data collection with reminders
- Maintain and track environmental monitoring compliance limits and exceedances
- Manage and engage with all of your stakeholders with one central repository
- Convert your engagements into actionable outcomes
- Forecast, plan and track your sites activities using IBM’s Weather data
- Create corporate report templates and meet requests for data provision from industry groups such as ICMM, Global Tailings Portal, PRI and UNEP
- Integration capability with third party systems or public portals such as the Global Tailings Portal
Request a demo
Want to find out more about tailings storage monitoring?