- Following two recent ruptures, Mariana in 2015, and Brumadinho in 2019, which caused a total of 289 deaths, the Government of Minas Gerais has launched a center to monitor the safety of dams in the state
- The State currently has 417 tailings dams; 38 are in some kind of emergency status and 3 at maximum level
- See what score you get for your TSF monitoring program
- Watch this vodcast, Working towards zero harm: tailings monitoring and governance in 2021
- Monitor your tailings storage facility with Decipher’s TSF cloud solution
- Are you ready for the next round of Investor Mining and Tailings Safety Initiative reports? Watch this FREE webinar to learn more
“We are not increasing the number of inspectors…we are not creating more infrastructure from the point of view of being in the field, but we are creating an intelligence structure to monitor this information, of what is being carried out. We are able to give a more effective response even when rescuing in the event of a possible disruption,” said Renato Brandão, president of the State Environment Foundation.
According to the government, Minas Gerais has 417 mining dams. Thirty-eight have some level of emergency, three of which are at the maximum level for the risk of breakage. One of them is the Sul Superior Dam, of the Gongo Soco mine in Barão de Cocais; the other is the B3 / B4, from the Mar Azul mine, in Macacos and Foraquilha 3, in Ouro Preto.
The engineer specialized in dams, Rafaela Fernandes, says that the safety of the dams depends on inspection and a system that can verify if the information made available is real and is up to date.
Effectively monitor your tailings storage facility with Decipher
Decipher’s Tailings solution is designed to provide you with key data and insights, enabling you to effectively monitor your TSF and your environmental obligations and compliance. Our solution can be securely accessed by industry, regulators, designers and operators involved in the management of TSFs. Decipher offers a comprehensive and functionally rich solution which combines regulatory (Compliance Management Software), mining waste management, stakeholder engagement, environmental monitoring, and environmental management system (EMS) tools to assist with tailings management:
- View real-time data and receive exceedance alerts
- Monitor land movement with remote sensing and InSAR datasets
- Visualise real-time LiDAR data with insights into dam movement
- Securely store and access all of your tailings data in the one place
- Upload and reference key documentation
- Visualise facilities across multiple sites in a single screen on a geospatial map
- Monitor your facilities with InSAR, LiDAR, DEM and more
- Capture a wide range of monitoring data and indicators su ch as surface and groundwater, decant pond water levels and quality, and embankment conditions
- Capture and track obligations and conditions around your licence to operate to manage your key risks and actions
- Action and task delegation for data collection with reminders
- Maintain and track environmental monitoring compliance limits and exceedances
- Manage and engage with all of your stakeholders with one central repository
- Convert your engagements into actionable outcomes
- Forecast, plan and track your sites activities using IBM’s Weather data
- Create corporate report templates and meet requests for data provision from industry groups such as ICMM, Global Tailings Portal, PRI and UNEP
- Integration capability with third party systems or public portals such as the Global Tailings Portal
Request a demo
Want to find out more about tailings storage monitoring?