In this article:
- Following the destruction of the 46,000 year-old Juukan Gorge caves, Australian mining companies will now have to follow stricter rules around project impacts on First Nations communities and the environment
- Find out how K2fly is helping Tier 1 and Tier 2 mining companies manage their cultural heritage requirements
- Find out about Decipher’s Rehabilitation and Closure solution
- Communities and people – First Nations community relationships, safety and health, crisis management, communication planning
- Environmental stewardship – biodiversity conservation management, water stewardship, tailings management
- Climate change – site-level targets and management.
“Our places, our sites, our history deserve better, and we demand strong reforms from this inquiry.”“When strong reforms are enacted and our places are protected, all Australians will benefit,” said Authority Chair Bobby Nunggumajbar. Minerals Council of Australia CEO Tania Constable said the introduction of TSM as an expectation of Minerals Council membership will give First Nations industry partners extra assurance and visibility on companies’ performance across a range of social and environmental indicators. “Australian mining is a global leader in sustainability performance, and it’s time to take another step forward to enhance community, investor and customer trust and confidence in the industry,” Constable said. revealed in a New South Wales Budget Estimates hearing that 100 per cent of the Aboriginal Heritage Impact Permits submitted in the past year had been approved, and that since 2016, over 400 applications to impact Aboriginal heritage sites had been approved by the State Government. In Western Australia, the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1972 (WA) is yet to be reformed, with over 60 per cent of stakeholders unhappy with the suggested reform, the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Bill 2020 (WA). Originally published by National Indigenous Times.
Learn more about Decipher’s Rehabilitation & Closure SolutionArmed with Decipher’s Rehabilitation & Closure solution, including GIS, remote sensing, monitoring and management tools means you can easily capture and analyse a wide range of environmental monitoring data, manage risks and issues around put backfilling, rapid flooding, slope instability and acid generation, and ensure you’re meeting your environmental obligations and compliance with alerts and notifications of exceedances.
Request a full demo of Decipher
Want to find out more about mine rehabilitation?
- See what score you get for your Rehabilitation and Closure program
- What is mine rehabilitation and closure?
- What are some key challenges facing mine rehabilitation and closure?
- How much does mine rehabilitation cost?
- What are the advancements in mine rehabilitation technology?
- What are some best practice mine rehabilitation methods?
- How to take a macro and micro approach to mine rehabilitation
- What is CRC-TiME?
- How to become an industry leader in mine rehabilitation
- Download this free Guide to Mine Rehabilitation in Australia