In this article:
- Australia is home to an estimated 60,000 abandoned mines. Many of these are small, and some date back to the gold rushes of the 1800s. But abandonment is not limited to distant history, and new mine sites are shut and abandoned every year.
- Australian law requires the mining companies to pay for and carry out the rehabilitation of their former sites, but the process is an internal one that doesn’t require the input of local communities
- See what score you get for your Rehabilitation and Closure program
- Listen to this webinar to learn about some of the issues and technologies around mine closure and rehabilitation
- Find out about Decipher’s Rehabilitation and Closure solution
See what score you get for your Rehabilitation and Closure programHowever, a slowdown in Australia’s decades-long mining boom has left companies and communities grappling with what to do about closed or abandoned mining sites. MiningMonthly recently hosted a webinar, Mine Rehabilitation and Closure Planning, which considers some of the issues and technologies around mine closure and rehabilitation of operations that have passed their useful life. In the webinar, you’ll hear from:
- Noel Dyson, Editor, Australia’s Mining Monthly
- Anthony Walker, Chief Executive Officer, Decipher
- Darren Murphy, Principal Consultant and Mine Closure Lead APAC, Golder
- Paul Amidy, Environment and Community Manager, Glencore Coal
How to drive progressive rehabilitation and closure
[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=340Weed-sww[/embedyt] Originally published by Mongabay.
Decipher’s Rehabilitation & Closure SolutionArmed with Decipher’s Rehabilitation & Closure solution, including GIS, remote sensing, monitoring and management tools means you can easily capture and analyse a wide range of environmental monitoring data, manage risks and issues around put backfilling, rapid flooding, slope instability and acid generation, and ensure you’re meeting your environmental obligations and compliance with alerts and notifications of exceedances.
Want to find out more about mine rehabilitation?
- What is mine rehabilitation and closure?
- What are some key challenges facing mine rehabilitation and closure?
- How much does mine rehabilitation cost?
- What are the advancements in mine rehabilitation technology?
- What are some best practice mine rehabilitation methods?
- How to take a macro and micro approach to mine rehabilitation
- What is CRC-TiME?
- How to become an industry leader in mine rehabilitation
- Download this free Guide to Mine Rehabilitation in Australia