In this article:
- Alcoa Australia is set to meet it’s global sustainability targets at its two bauxite mines, Huntly and Willowdale, in the Peel and South West (WA)
- See what score you get for your Rehabilitation and Closure program
- Find out about Decipher’s Rehabilitation and Closure solution
“We work hard to re-establish a jarrah forest ecosystem that is self-sustaining and consistent with pre-existing land uses of the forest – including highly valued areas for recreation and conservation.“We are very proud of the fact that self-sustaining forest ecosystems now thrive in areas where Alcoa once mined bauxite.
“Alcoa’s leading-practice rehabilitation process, which has been developed and continually improved over decades, involves landscaping, pre-ripping, soil return, fauna habitat return, final contour ripping and seeding, recalcitrant planting, fertilizing and ongoing monitoring and management,” she said.To date, less than four per cent of the jarrah forest within Alcoa’s bauxite mineral lease – or about one per cent of the total jarrah forest in the South West has been mined. The company says over the entire life of its WA operations, it expects to mine less than eight per cent of the mineral lease, or less than three per cent of the total jarrah forest.
How to drive progressive rehabilitation and closure
[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=340Weed-sww[/embedyt] Originally published by Mandurah Mail.
Decipher’s Rehabilitation & Closure SolutionArmed with Decipher’s Rehabilitation & Closure solution, including GIS, remote sensing, monitoring and management tools means you can easily capture and analyse a wide range of environmental monitoring data, manage risks and issues around put backfilling, rapid flooding, slope instability and acid generation, and ensure you’re meeting your environmental obligations and compliance with alerts and notifications of exceedances.
Request a full demo of Decipher
Want to find out more about mine rehabilitation?
- What is mine rehabilitation and closure?
- What are some key challenges facing mine rehabilitation and closure?
- How much does mine rehabilitation cost?
- What are the advancements in mine rehabilitation technology?
- What are some best practice mine rehabilitation methods?
- How to take a macro and micro approach to mine rehabilitation
- What is CRC-TiME?
- How to become an industry leader in mine rehabilitation
- Download this free Guide to Mine Rehabilitation in Australia