- The size, geological features and variable climates of Australia provides a unique set of challenges and risks
- In an attempt to find new sustainable solutions to address some of these challenges, Maxar has launched the Maxar Spatial Challenge. The challenge aims to promote space derived intelligence to solve challenges.
Decipher will be looking at how high resolution satellite imagery can be leveraged to help broaden our understanding of the disaster risk associated with the tailings dam and the consequences to the nearby communities
- See what score you get for your TSF management
- Decipher solves tech challenge for Rio Tinto
- Download this FREE guide to find out about the 57 major tailings dam failures (2000 – 2020)
- Are you ready for the next round of Investor Mining and Tailings Safety Initiative reports? Watch this FREE webinar to learn more
What is the Maxar Spatial Challenge?
What is the Maxar Spatial Challenge?
The Maxar Spatial Challenge aims to promote the value of space derived intelligence in addressing key challenges within Australia, to identify and support key innovators that can leverage space intelligence and develop sustainable solutions that can be scaled and applied on a regional or national level.
- Road/access path classification
- Broad-based urban planning using multiple information layers
- Tree canopy classification and tracking
- Urban heat analysis with its effect on livability
- Tobacco crop identification
- Murray-Darling basin environmental sustainability analysis involving river systems, upstream/downstream utilization, water usage modelling etc.
- Environmental assessment and monitoring over mining sites with tailing dams
- Timber stockpile analysis
- A-WAVE platform – an Earth Intelligence alert system for near real-time multisource monitoring of the physical world
- GBDX Notebooks – developers with an understanding of Python can take advantage of the platform allowing for algorithmic analysis of 30cm data
- HD Imagery – Maxar’s 30cm native resolution imagery processed in a manner to improve the visual clarity of the imagery to give it a 15cm processed resolution
Decipher aims to solve tailings management and risk assessment challengeA tailings dam is typically an onsite engineered structure used to contain the by-products, or tailings. Through the separation process of the valuable minerals from the unused waste like ground-up rock, process water and chemical reagents, the tailings can be in the form of liquid, solid, or a slurry of fine particles that are usually highly toxic. Given the increasing global trend of tailing dams related to disasters and with the launch of the new Global Standard on Tailings Management, Decipher will be looking at how high resolution satellite imagery can be leveraged to help broaden our understanding of the disaster risk associated with the tailings dam and the consequences to the nearby communities. The Decipher team will be specifically looking at some of South Australia’s largest opencast mines.
Effectively monitor your tailings storage facility with DecipherDecipher’s Tailings solution is designed to provide you with key data and insights, enabling you to effectively monitor your TSF and your environmental obligations and compliance. Our solution can be securely accessed by industry, regulators, designers and operators involved in the management of TSFs. Decipher offers a comprehensive and functionally rich solution which combines regulatory (Compliance Management Software), mining waste management, stakeholder engagement, environmental monitoring, and environmental management system (EMS) tools to assist with tailings management:
- View real-time data and receive exceedance alerts
- Monitor land movement with remote sensing and InSAR datasets
- Visualise real-time LiDAR data with insights into dam movement
- Securely store and access all of your tailings data in the one place
- Upload and reference key documentation
- Visualise facilities across multiple sites in a single screen on a geospatial map
- Monitor your facilities with InSAR, LiDAR, DEM and more
- Capture a wide range of monitoring data and indicators su ch as surface and groundwater, decant pond water levels and quality, and embankment conditions
- Capture and track obligations and conditions around your licence to operate to manage your key risks and actions
- Action and task delegation for data collection with reminders
- Maintain and track environmental monitoring compliance limits and exceedances
- Manage and engage with all of your stakeholders with one central repository
- Convert your engagements into actionable outcomes
- Forecast, plan and track your sites activities using IBM’s Weather data
- Create corporate report templates and meet requests for data provision from industry groups such as ICMM, Global Tailings Portal, PRI and UNEP
- Integration capability with third party systems or public portals such as the Global Tailings Portal
Request a demo
Want to find out more about tailings storage monitoring?