K2fly partner OBI Partners, will soon commence work implementing OBI’s base Vegetation Performance solution at PPL Electric Utilities. Hosting the application on a 3-year basis, OBI is contracted to deliver software, integration services, training, “go-live” and ongoing support in a hosted environment. The solution will leverage vegetation management, LiDAR, and outage management data in a near real-time environment.
OBI’s Vegetation Performance Solution consists of three major categories of business intelligence:
- Completed Miles/Performance of the Programs/Projects. This module summarises the planned, target, approved, and completed vegetation effort, with extensive drill down to the task or work order level, supported by transactional data such as program, project, plan, completed, planned miles, target miles, approved miles, budget, actual cost, planned cost, vendor performance, etc.
- Vegetation Related Reliability Performance Indices. The OBI solution leverages the IEEE1366 SAIDI and SAIFI Performance Indices for both normal and major event days. These indices ensure that performance can be objectively measured, managed and approved upon.
- Vegetation Related Outages with details on the cause and its impact on the network which includes outage durations, customers affected and total customer minutes interrupted. This module analyses the current vegetation cycle and provides intelligence in determining if the cycle should be adjusted, whether contractors performing the work properly executed the plan, etc.
OBI will also be partnering on the construction of 3 additional submodules:
- Vendor Scorecard will measure their performance related to quality of work, execution of the planned schedule, benefits achieved against performance indices, price, etc.
- Arborist/Forester Performance will help the organisation in tracking the performance related to the # of Revisions, # additions, estimate versus actual costs as well as several other key performance indicators. This module will support the Arborist’s objective in focusing on areas that need attention. Gathering this information often takes excessive amounts of time which reduces the time to actually analyse and act on the data.
- Executive Dashboards will provide an organisational summary on the overall performance of Vegetation Management as well as drill down to the transaction for detailed analysis when warranted. This module will provide the organisation with a consistent view of PPL’s objectives for continual improvements.
PPL has been a leader in leveraging technology. They recently won two Industry Excellence Awards by the Southeastern Electric Exchange for initiatives in automated power restoration as well as the use of light detection and ranging (LiDAR) data. The data was utilised to provide three dimensional spatial views of potential obstructions in right-of ways. Both initiatives have resulted in substantial reliability and restoration improvements for PPL customers.
Vegetation Management is typically the largest external O&M expense for a utility so expediting the deployment offers a rapid return on investment. This deployment will be provided in a hosted environment for PPL, with the objective to deliver the base vegetation performance solution with the enhancements in a single deployment. The timeframe is expected to be 45-60 days, involving workshops, integration, acceptance testing, and Go Live support. The core and enhanced functionality delivered will have the flexibility to expand in the future as OBI’s Utility Information Model (UIM) for vegetation management will be deployed.